Cleveland Comets, Mexico Softball Renew Partnership For 2020
The Cleveland Comets and Mexico's national softball team have renewed their partnership for the 2020 National Pro Fastpitch season, it was announced Wednesday.
The Mexican national team, which qualified for its first Olympic Games in softball in August, features several players from the Comets. As a result of their partnership with the Mexican squad during the 2019 NPF season, the Comets doubled their win total from 10 in 2018 to 20 this past summer.
"The Mexico Olympic Team is happy to announce that we will continue to work with the Cleveland Comets and the National Pro Fastpitch league (NPF) in 2020 and for years to come," Team Mexico President Cruz Rolando Guerrero Castilla said in a press release. "Our team’s success at the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) America’s Olympic qualifier also belongs to our partners the Cleveland Comets and the NPF."
In August's Olympic qualifier, Mexico went undefeated with notable wins over No. 3 Canada and No. 4 Puerto Rico, while also outscoring its opponents 53-2.
"Playing in the rigorous, high-caliber 2019 NPF season helped us prepare and be ready to conquer the historic achievement of qualifying, undefeated, for the Olympic Games in Tokyo 2020," Guerrero Castilla continued in the release. "We understand that participating in the league will be the only way to continue to increase and maintain our high level of play, not only for Tokyo 2020, but towards Los Angeles 2028."
The events that Team Mexico will take part in ahead of July's Olympics were also announced in the release. See them below.
- Nov. 10-25: Training Camp/Exhibition Games vs. Japanese Olympic Team in Onomichi, Japan
- Jan. 30-Feb. 2: Asia Pacific Cup in Sydney, Australia
- Feb. 8-16: Triple Crown Event in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico vs. Tennessee, Texas and other colleges
- March 24: at San Diego State University and University of San Diego
- March 26-28: at University of Arizona vs. BYU, New Mexico and Arizona
- April 10-12: at Fresno State vs. Canadian Olympic Team
- May 23-30: Training Camp/Exhibition Games vs. Italian Olympic Team in Sardinia, Italy